On 15 December, the NBU will hold its regular workshop Monetary Policy in Emerging Markets: Understanding the Causes and Consequences of a New Wave of Inflation. The Ukrainian central bank has been organizing this event for the second year in a row in cooperation with the Euro Area Business Cycle Network (EABCN).
The workshop will bring together economists, experts, and policymakers from central banks, academia, think tanks, and international financial institutions to discuss main drivers of inflation dynamics in emerging markets and additional challenges faced by these countries during the new period of high inflation.
Athanasios Orphanides, Professor of the Practice of Global Economics and Management at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (USA), will be the keynote speaker at the workshop.
The working language will be English.
The NBU calls to submit research papers on the workshop’s topics. The list of topics includes, but is not limited to:
- causal models of inflation in emerging economies
- local, regional, and global spillovers of inflationary effects of war
- monetary transmission under structural liquidity surplus
- unconventional monetary policy design when conventional tools are constrained
- optimal balance between fiscal and monetary policies in conditions of large debt and high interest rates
- central bank communications and inflation expectations.
Authors interested in presenting their analytical or research work at the workshop are invited to send a draft presentation or an extended abstract with key highlights (in pdf format) to [email protected].
The submission deadline is 17 November 2023. Authors of the accepted works will be notified by 24 November 2023.
If you have any questions regarding the NBU’s workshop, please feel free to write to: [email protected].
Information on last year’s NBU workshop on inflation targeting is available here.
Please share this call for papers with your colleagues!