The NBU publishes information on the management of statistical reporting that banks file with the NBU: NBU regulations on the procedure for compilation and submission of statistical reporting files; draft documents for discussion; answers to questions; explanations regarding statistical reporting management; etc.
The Regulatory Documents subsection contains information about the current version of the Rules of Management of Statistical Reporting Filed with the NBU and the Rules of Management of Statistical Reporting Filed with the NBU during the Special Period.
The Draft Documents subsection contains materials on draft amendments that are made to the Rules of Management of Statistical Reporting Filed with the NBU and that are available for public discussion.
The subsection Register of Statistical Reporting Indicators Pursuant to Rules No. 120 – contains the register of reporting indicators compiled in accordance with the Rules of Management of Statistical Reporting Filed with the National Bank of Ukraine approved by NBU Board Resolution No. 120 dated 13 November 2018 (as amended). This subsection includes descriptions and threshold values of indicators and guides on the compilation of indicators with lists of metrics (measurements), with descriptions of parameters (data cross-sections) and unclassified detail of indicator, as well as xsd-schemes of the reporting files.
"Register of Reporting Indicators for Non-banking Financial Institutions under government regulation and supervision of National Bank of Ukraine since 01 July 2020” – contains the register of reporting indicators for Non-banking Financial Institutions under government regulation and supervision of National Bank of Ukraine since 01 July 2020 according to Law On Amending Some Laws That Improve State Regulation of Financial Services Markets No. 79-IX dated 12 September 2019. This subsection includes descriptions and controls of Indicators, guides on the compilation of statistical reporting indicators indicators with lists of metrics (measurements), with descriptions of parameters (data cross-sections) and unclassified detail of indicator, as well as xsd-schemes of the reporting files.
The subsection Statistical Reporting Submission Calendar contains the schedule for the submission of statistical reporting files, which indicates dates and times of their submission under reporting requirements of the National Bank of Ukraine.
The Messages (ukr) subsection contains explanations by NBU experts about statistical reporting management.
What kind of statistics does the NBU collect and publish?
The general requirements for the preparation, authorization, and submission of statistics to the NBU are prescribed under the Rules of Statistical Reporting approved by NBU Board Resolution No. 120 from 1 March 2016 (hereinafter referred to as the “Rules”).
Data are submitted to the NBU at different intervals: daily, every tenth day, monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, annually, and upon request.
The data are used to perform regulatory and supervisory functions, including over currency markets, in accordance with Ukrainian law. Based on the information provided, the regulator creates:
- monetary, financial, and banking statistics
- balance of payments, international investment position, and external debt statistics.
Public information is released on the NBU’s website.
Who reports statistics to the NBU?
The NBU receives statistics from:
- Ukrainian banks and foreign bank branches operating in Ukraine
- resident nonbank institutions, resident nonbank financial institutions that are payment system operators or members of payment systems, and payment service providers
- nonbank financial institutions with NBU license for conducting currency transactions or NBU general license for conducting currency transactions (granted before the Law of Ukraine On Currency and Currency Operations came into effect)
- nonbank financial institutions, enterprises, organizations, and sole proprietors that have accounts abroad. Diplomatic, consular, trade, and other Ukrainian official missions abroad are excluded, as are stand-alone units of residents
- postal service providers.
How is the statistical reporting prepared and submitted?
The statistics are prepared and submitted to the NBU as files signed electronically by a designated person as set out in the Rules.
The requirements for preparing the statistics are outlined the Rules. The Register of Indicators (posted on the NBU’s website) outlines all the required pieces of information, including details on identifiers and names of indicators, metrics, units of measurement, parameters, consolidation levels, unclassified details of indicators, references to legal acts, rules and requirements for estimating indicators, file numbers, submission frequency and deadlines, respondents, and the procedure for verifying data.
Respondents submit statistics in XML and JSON formats.
How is the data checked for compliance with NBU requirements?
Reported indicators are checked for compliance with NBU requirements on three levels:
- primary: technical control, verification of data structure performed by the respondent that submits the information to the NBU
- secondary: NBU control during acceptance of statistical reporting
- expert control of data quality, integrity, time synchronization, consistency with data from other sources, compliance with international statistical standards. This step is conducted by the NBU to determine whether there is a need to amend the files.
The descriptions of the primary and secondary controls for each statistical reporting file are posted on the page of the Register of Indicators.
If the NBU has any concerns regarding the indicators based on the findings of the control process, the respondent must provide the NBU with an explanation.
If the respondent or the NBU find errors in the data, the respondent can submit a replacement file. This can take place before the deadline at the respondent’s discretion as set out in column 5 Annex 6 of the Rules, or after the deadline by permission of the NBU.