On 20 November, the final of the second student championship Monetary Policy: NBU University Challenge was held.
The NBU holds this competition to deepen the students’ practical understanding of a monetary policy’s role in the development of the Ukrainian economy.
"NBU University Challenge was initiated last year to align theoretical knowledge with practical skills and to allow the youth a moment to look behind the scenes of the NBU’s work and put themselves in the shoes of an NBU Board adviser," the NBU Governor Kyrylo Shevchenko stressed.
The team from Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University – led by their mentor, Assistant Professor Andrii Pilko, PhD in Economics – has won the NBU University Challenge 2020 and the Cup of the NBU Governor. The team consists of second-year students in the master’s program in Economic Cybernetics: Vitaliy Kramar (captain), Mariia Vatseba, and Nataliia Romaniv.
Degree II diplomas were awarded to two student teams majoring in Finance, Banking, and Insurance:
- the team from Oles Honchar Dnipro National University. The team is mentored by Professor Yuliia Makarenko, PhD in Economics. The members of the team are second-year students in a master’s program: Valerii Khatsko (capitain), Hanna Herman, Ivan Korniienko, Valerii Kurinnyi and Anastasiia Shevchenko.
- the team from Odesa National Economic University. The team’s mentor is lecturer Serhii Sheludko, PhD in Economics. The team includes junior and senior students in a bachelor’s program: Mykyta Babkov (captain), Anastasiia Yehorova, Mariia Kambur, Oleksandr Kryzhanovskyi, and Oleksandr Rohaliov.
Degree III diplomas were awarded to two student teams consisting of undergraduates majoring in Economics, and Finance, Banking, and Insurance:
- the team from Taras Shevchenko Kyiv National University, mentored by Assistant Professor Nataliia Versal, PhD in Economics. Team members: Valentyn Skalenchuk (captain), Yelizaveta Artiushenko, Oleksandr Honcharuk, Tetiana Lem, and Oleksandr Shyshatskii
- the team from Vadim Hetman Kyiv National Economic University. Mentor: Oleh Makarov, PhD student. The team includes the following students: Anastasiia Bublyk (captain), Maksym Bakovetskyi, Feodosii Boldyriev, Mykyta Ivanov, and Dmytro Moskovchenko.
In 2020, the NBU University Challenge was held online. Over 170 persons from 13 regions of Ukraine and the city of Kyiv took part in the competition.
Until 20 October, 35 teams representing 27 universities prepared their competitive proposals on changes to the key policy rate and improvement of monetary policy design in view of macroeconomic forecasts in Ukraine and the world. On 6 November, 5 teams shortlisted for the final were announced. In the final, held on 20 November, the top three teams defended their monetary solutions and were given the opportunity to put themselves in the place of the NBU’s Monetary Policy Committee members as they answered questions from the jury, which acted as a central bank Board.
The jury of the final in the second student championship Monetary Policy: NBU University Challenge included:
- Dmytro Sologub, NBU Deputy Governor
- Elisabeth Curtis, PhD, the mastermind of the student championship on monetary policy in Ukraine, Associate Professor at Dartmouth College (U.S. Ivy League), who mentored the prize-winning teams and participated in the work of the jury of a similar student competition administered by the U.S. Fed (College Fed Challenge), mentor of the College Fed Challenge 2020 winner
- Andrii Bezpiatov, Managing Director of the Analytics Department, Dragon Capital, and a Board Member of CFA Society Ukraine
- Volodymyr Lepushynskyi, Director of the NBU Monetary Policy and Economic Analysis Department
- Olha Poharska, Deputy Director of the NBU Monetary Policy and Economic Analysis Department, Head of the Economic Analysis Office
- Pervin Dadashova, Head of Macroprudential Policy and Research Office of the NBU Financial Stability Department
- Mihnea Constantinescu, manager of the Research Division of the NBU Monetary Policy and Economic Analysis Department
- Mykhailo Rebryk, Head of the Monetary Policy Office of the NBU Monetary Policy and Economic Analysis Department
- Andrii Blinov, Chief Expert of the Communications Department, coordinator of the NBU Expert Platform.
In the final competition, the quality of macroeconomic analysis, completeness of answers to the jury’s questions, team work, and presentation skills were assessed. All members of the finalist teams were invited for internship in the NBU.
During the two-year history of the student competition, the teams from 40 universities from 17 regions of Ukraine have taken part in it.
In 2021, the NBU intends to continue the tradition of the NBU University Challenge. "Participation in competitions like this helps students understand the content of monetary policy and its role in economic development, promotes the interest of the youth in the central bank’s work, and inspires them to pursue financial sector careers," NBU Governor Kyrylo Shevchenko said.