After the recruiting procedures and interviews of candidates with the Board of the National Bank of Ukraine, Oleksandr Palamarchuk was appointed as a new Director of the NBU Security Department on 1 December 2022.
The former Director of the NBU’s Security Department, Ihor Konovalov, was transferred at his own request to a position of Advisor to NBU Board on 1 December 2022.
The newly appointed Director of the Security Department is responsible for organizing, implementing, coordinating, and controlling measures related to:
- prevention, detection, and discontinuation of offences in the NBU (except for corruption and corruption-related offences)
- guarding of the NBU facilities and valuables, as well as special cargos in transit organized by the NBU
- mobilization training and civil protection at the NBU
- implementation of measures to ensure the NBU’s personnel-related, financial and economic security
- development and implementation the NBU information security policy, information security risk management
- development of information security technologies and systems, introduction of up-to-date information protection methods into the NBU information infrastructure and the banking system of Ukraine for the high-quality and timely fulfilment of the functions assigned to the NBU
- cybersecurity in the banking system of Ukraine and in the area of fund transfers
- ensuring implementation by the NBU of the function of state regulation in electronic trust services in the banking system of Ukraine according to the Ukrainian legislation
- ensuring development and implementation by the NBU of the state policy on critical infrastructure protection related to banks, other entities operating in the financial services markets and regulated and supervised by the NBU, payment system operators, payment system participants, payment service providers in accordance with Ukrainian laws.
The Security Department is part of the General line of command curated by NBU Governor Andriy Pyshnyy.
Oleksandr Palamarchuk has extensive experience in managing security systems, including in senior positions.
Prior to joining the NBU, Olexandr Palamarchuk had worked for seven years as a Security Department Director at Oschadbank JSC.
In 2014–2015, he was the First Deputy Head of the State Assay Service of Ukraine. In 2001–2012, Oleksandr worked for the tax police of the State Tax Service of Ukraine, progressing from Security Operations Officer to Chief of Staff. From 1985 to 2001, he served in the Ukrainian Armed Forces.
Oleksandr Palamarchuk earned degrees in military science and economics. In 1997, he graduated from the Academy of the Armed Forces of Ukraine with a major in Military Administration in International Relations (Master’s Degree in Military Administration). In 2009, Oleksandr Palamarchuk graduated from the Educational and Scientific Center for Postgraduate Studies and Advanced Training at Kremenchuk University of Economics, Information Technologies with a degree in Management of Organizations (majoring in Economics). He also graduated from Kharkiv Guards Higher Tank Command School in 1989.